St. Scholastica Parish was organized in 1895 in the town of Aspinwall, a residential borough of Allegheny County approximately six miles northeast of Pittsburgh bordering the Allegheny River.
Seeing the need for a parochial school, the Millvale Franciscan Sisters founded, under the name of St. Scholastica, the first and only school in the town of Aspinwall. The St. Scholastica school was dedicated on September 6, 1925. Two days later, it opened with grades one through six. Two expansions took place in the following years. In 1926, grade seven was added, and in 1927, grade eight.
In 1959, seeing the need for further expansion, an addition to the school at the corner of Third and Brilliant was erected. In 1980 a kindergarten was added to the existing one through eight programs.
In 1985 a new building was constructed on the site of the original school (the corner of Third and Maple). This addition, along with the previous building on Brilliant Avenue, constituted St. Scholastica School until the summer of 1997.
With the cost of operation continuing to climb, a new model of financing and governance was created by a consortium of Catholic parishes in the Fox Chapel School District (St. Edward, St. John Cantius, St. Joseph, Madonna of Jerusalem, St. Mary and St. Scholastica). Upon approval by the Bishop and the Secretary of Education, this new model brought with it a new name – Christ the Divine Teacher Catholic Academy.
We look forward to this new challenge, of providing Catholic education for the faith formation of the community’s youth into the next millennium.
Christ The Divine Teacher Catholic Academy . 205 Brilliant Ave. Pittsburgh PA . 412.781.7927 . fax 781.0891